Sunday, December 6, 2009

Trust in the Lord

There are so many things about Africa that I have gotten used to already. So many things I used to think were gross or weird are now pretty normal. But, I am now learning to be patient with something I never have thought about in the states. There is a major gas crisis in Malawi right now. We haven't had gas for about 3 weeks. That means that I haven't been out of the campus walls, except for church, in almost a month. I have food that doesn't spoil, and I walk across the street to buy bananas from someone selling them on the road so I'm not going hungry. In my big empty house it doesn't feel like Christmas yet because I haven't decorated. My December plans were to buy a Christmas tree and some other things to make it feel more like home, but that hasn't been able to happen with the gas crisis. There are so many stories about why we are in a crisis but nobody seems to know the real reason. One story is that the gas from Mozambique wasn't purified correctly so they sent it back and now that it's rainy season so the roads are too flooded to get across with a big truck. My favorite reason is that the president of Malawi bought a fancy new jet and it took so much money that Malawi can't pay for the petrol.
As much as i want Christmas decorations, I am more frustrated with not being able to go to the village. It would take us way too long to walk there and back so we haven't been for 2 weeks. I hope they don't think we have abandoned them. Please continue to pray for the kids in the village!
The gas shortage is also effecting my classroom. Some of the kids can't come to school because they have no way of getting there. We took one day off hoping that it would help but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Please pray for patience for me. My American side kicks in sometimes and can't believe how it is possible to go this long without gas. I guess I still have a lot to learn about Africa haha.

Ironic that I have been working with my class to learn Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all of your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight.

2 comments:

  1. you're an encouragement to me! praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, are you ready for my ideas? Here we go: Go get any plant you can find and decorate it with paper chains!!! Example: weeds, palm trees, sticks, etc. Or... your kids can color you a great big tree. Or, I could just send you the horse heads. Those would make things festive!

    Seriously, I will be praying that you get some gas! That would make me frustrated too. Oh, Africa! I'm going to do some research for you and see what is really behind your gas shortage!

    ReplyDelete