Friday, May 29, 2009

First Post

Hey Everyone!
I will be updating you on my life in Lilongwe, Malawi through this blog as well as e-mails and facebook. Here is somemore information on what I will be doing there.

I have recently graduated from Belhaven College with a degree in Elementary Education; and I’m pleased to tell you about an opportunity that I have been given for this upcoming school year. In August, I will be traveling to Lilongwe, Malawi, located in southeastern Africa, to serve as a first grade teacher at the African Bible College Christian Academy. The academy is staffed with volunteer missionaries and is designed to provide the best Christian education possible in Lilongwe. It currently runs kindergarten through tenth grade and has children enrolled from 28 different countries. I will serve for 11 months then return again in August for a second year. My class consists of 20 students, from six different nationalities, with the majority being Malawian children. The countries represented in my classroom are Malawi, USA, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Australia, and South Africa.
My role as a teacher in Malawi will be to teach my diverse group of students from an American, Christian curriculum. I also have the privilege of opening the day with prayer, a short devotion, and have the freedom to teach the gospel to young, open hearts whenever the opportunity arises.
In addition to being a classroom teacher, I will be teaching after school ballet, jazz, and hip hop to Christian music. I would like to teach both the lower and upper grades and incorporate dance into their annual Christmas Pageant.
Because Malawi has one of the highest percentages of people with HIV/AIDS in the world, there are a large amount of children who are orphaned and living on the streets. I am excited to be able to volunteer in the villages to relieve orphanage workers, hold neglected babies, and share the love of Jesus whenever I have the time.
Before I can leave for Malawi, I must raise $1200 per month to pay for my food, apartment, and travel. If you would like to support my missions to Malawi financially, you can write a one-time check made out to African Bible College, or fill out an electronic transfer form for an automatic monthly withdraw from your checking account. All donations are tax deductible and are greatly appreciated!
Send all donations to:

African Bible College
P.O. Box 103
Clinton, MS 39060

I covet your prayers as I venture off into a new land. Please pray for safe travel, good health, creative teaching ideas, and changed hearts for the Malawian people as well as for myself.

Thank you for your time and God bless!

Whitney Mack
Whitneymack@belhaven.edu
Africanbiblecolleges.org


“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

1 comment: